Squash, Bacon and Rice One Pot (serves 6)
This is one of our easy to make and easy to cook recipes. For the day in the week where I am just so busy and my lot love this. It's not high in Vitamin K but some can be added if you wish. Sometimes I make some extra to store in the freezer as back up.
Values per serving
Vitamin K (mcg) 7.3
Protein (g) 10.95
Calories (kcal) 271.5
Fat (g) 12.4
To make you will need
1 tbsp Olive oil
800g Butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1 inch cubes)
1 small Onion
1 clove Garlic
200g Long grain rice
250g Unsmoked Bacon, cut into small squares (can be smoked if preferred)
70g Peas, frozen
No salt required due to amount already in bacon
Preheat the oven to 200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas Mark 6
- Prepare all vegetables and bacon as per instructions above,
- Drizzle the oil over the squash, mix it into the squash to ensure it is all covered. Roast in oven for 30 minutes until tender,
- Once squash is in oven, cook the rice as per packet instructions. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Set to the side.
- In a wok or frying pan, cook the bacon in a dry pan. There will be enough fat on the bacon. The bacon wants to be almost crispy and you will see plenty of fat has cooked off it and is in the pan,
- If you wish to cut down on the fat content, now is the time to remove some of this fat from the dish,
- Add the onions, garlic and peas. Cook for 2 minutes until the onions are translucent,
- Add the rice and mix,
- Add the oven roasted squash and mix into the rice dish.
- Can be served immediately, heated up later or frozen for the future.
Vitamin K additions:
If you wish to add some coriander, add an extra 31mcg Vitamin K per handful and/or green beans which are an additional 35.10 mcg Vitamin K per 90g portion.