Cath’s veggie Chilli (serves 4)
This is one of my back up recipes that I store in the freezer and pull out when needed. Its really filling and gives me my chilli hit, perfect for when i am keeping my calories in check. A quick and easy recipe to make and store.
Values per serving
Vitamin K (mcg) 17.5
Protein (g) 12.7
Calories (kcal) 250
Fat (g) 6.9
To make you will need
1 tbsp coconut butter
1 medium onion
3 stalks celery
2 medium carrots
6 medium mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
2 green chillies
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 fresh bay leaf
400g tin chickpeas
400g tin of red kidney beans
Salt and Pepper to season
- Finely chop the carrots, celery and onion.
- Melt the coconut butter in a large pan and add the chopped vegetables.
- Add a tbsp. of water, pinch of salt and black pepper and sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Deseed the chillies and then finely chop both the chillies and garlic. Add to the pan along with the mushrooms and stir in. Sauté gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir to coat all the vegetables.
- Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and 250ml of water and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and kidney beans.
- Add the chickpeas and beans to the pan along with a bay leaf.
- Season to taste and cook for a further 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened nicely.